I. Profile of Ningbo
A famous historic city with rich cultural heritage and as a first-rate Tourist City, Ningbo boasts picturesque scenic areas and a plenty of historical relics as well as long-standing Buddhist culture and well-renowned social resources. The Neolithic Hemudu Culture Ruins date back to 7,000 years known as the cradle of the Sun totem. The Dongqian Lake with its enchanting mountains and water is celebrated as "No.1 coastal lake in China". The Putuo Mountain is reputed as "Fairyland at Sea". The Beilun Harbor is grand and unique. The Songlan Mountain is a provincial scenic area noted for its seashore, beach and island sight seeing. The Tianyi Pavilion is the oldest private library in Asia. The Baoguo Temple is the oldest wooden architecture in the south of the Yangtze River. The culturally-endowed Liangzhu Park is the birthplace of the love story "Oriental Romeo and Juliet". The King Asoka Temple is well-known for the preservation of the partial bone of Sakyamuni. The Tiantong Temple is the ancestral temple of Caodong Buddhist Sect of Japan. The Xuedou Temple is famous for Maitreya Buddhist rites. Thus a multi-level, high-density tourist network has been formed with Ningbo as its hub, the Putuo Mountain in the east, the Yandang Mountain in the south, Shaoxing and Hangzhou in the west and Shanghai in the north.
Convenient in transportation, beautiful in surroundings and excellent in tourist facilities, Ningbo has formed a transportation network of land, sea and air services. Its passenger line has been extended to Beijing, Guangzhou, Baotou and Shanghai, etc, and 11 holiday lines have also been opened between Ningbo and Nanjing as well as Wuyi Mountain, etc. There are 28 scheduled flights including air lines to Hongkong and Macao. In addition, one-hour service network has been established from the city proper to each satellite city and county. With the opening of Shanghai-Hangzhou-Ningbo Expressway, it takes merely 2 hours to travel from Ningbo to Shanghai. Besides, Ningbo enjoys distinctive seasons, favorable climate, attractive ecological environment and excellent air quality. Tourists who have been to Ningbo from all over the world think of Ningbo as the "Oriental Venice" in their memory.
The local food of Ningbo also enjoys high reputation in the world. Here, you many enjoy the genuine Ningbo cooking to your heart content.
II. Introduction to Ningbo University
Ningbo University is a dynamic, young and comprehensive university with a wide range of disciplines: economics, law, education, liberal arts, history, science, engineering, agronomy, medicine and management. It is one of the key institutions of higher learning of Zhejiang Province. Deng Xiaoping autographed the name of Ningbo University. Throughout its establishment and development, the University has been upheld by considerable donations and generous support from patriotic overseas Chinese such as Sir Yue-kong Pao, Sir Run-run Shaw, Sir Chao An Chung, Sir Hans Tang, Sir Yue-shu Pao, Sir Cao Guangbiao, Sir Li Dashan, Sir Zhu Xiushan, as well as from personages of various circles in the country. Mr. Cheng Gang, a standing member of Ningbo Municipal Committee of CPC, is concurrently Secretary of the Ningbo University Committee of CPC. Professor Nie Qiuhua holds the presidency of the university.
The University is located in the historical and cultural city of Ningbo of Zhejiang Province, bordering on the East China Sea. Ningbo has long been acclaimed as a thriving commercial port and a shining pearl near the East Sea, and it has gradually grown to be a major city in the Southern part of the Yangtze Delta and a key trading port in the East China. The University has five campuses, covering an area of over 160 hectares, with a floor space totaling 560,000 square meters. The main campus, adjacent to Ningzhen Road in the north and Yongjiang River in the south, offers wide space for study and research with magnificent buildings and pleasant lawns and greenery.
The University supplies a complete set of facilities and services for teaching, and research. Its libraries now have a CNKI Network Administrative Service Center, and a collection of approximately 1,400,000 books. The university consisting of 19 faculties and colleges offers 65 bachelor programs and 56 master programs. The number of its full-time undergraduate students amounts to 23,000 with 700 in-residency postgraduates. The number of the teaching and administrative staff reaches 2,400 of which 1300 are teachers, with 6 academicians, 188 full professors and 581 associate professors.
Ningbo University ranks among the first group of universities of China to enroll students from China’s mainland and Hong Kong, Taiwan and Macao. It offers mainly undergraduate programs, and simultaneously it makes vigorous efforts to expand graduate programs, and also offers doctoral degrees in cooperation with other universities. Pursuing the tradition of "seeking truth from facts and applying knowledge to the service of the nation" as its mission, the university aims to carry out systems of credits, combination of major subjects with minor subjects and flexible study programs, and to implement the course structure with the first block of general education and the second block of specialty study, to bring about quality students with broad adaptability, good knowledge, and strong capacity.
The university is featured by its emphasis on the development of academic disciplines. Centering on the local economic and social development, the university has adjusted and optimized the structure of disciplines, and this has resulted in its 13 provincial key academic disciplines and key assisted academic disciplines, 11 municipal key academic disciplines and key assisted academic disciplines, which bear distinct regional characteristics. The university has also made great advancements in scientific studies and social services. It has 2 provincial key laboratories, 12 municipal key laboratories, and 77 institutes. It has jointly established, with the local enterprises, 3 provincial and municipal engineering and technology centers. The academic periodical of the university is the Journal of Ningbo University, which consists of editions of Natural Science and Engineering, Liberal Arts, and Education.
Ningbo University maintains close links and intercollegiate cooperation with 47 well-known institutions of higher learning in Canada, Germany, France, Britain, USA, Sweden, Japan, South Korea and Australia. The success of the international exchanges can be exemplified by its successful China-Canada joint-educational program and its other programs for international students from Japan and other foreign countries. It also has successful cooperation and exchanges with institutions of higher learning and educational agencies in Hong Kong and Taiwan. Up to now it has signed cooperative agreements with The Chinese Culture University of Taiwan, Chaoyang University of Technology, Chihlee Institute of Commerce, and Taiwan Marine University, etc.
Facing the great historical opportunity of developing higher education, Ningbo University, based on Ningbo and serving Zhejiang, is laying greater emphasis on improving its quality, raising its level, and heightening its status. The University is now endeavoring to become a well-known university with both educational and academic excellence, not only closely linked with the local economic and social development and satisfying the demands of the age, but also contributing more to the economic prosperity and social development of Zhejiang and the country as a whole.
III. Information about Teaching at Ningbo University
1. We employ native English speakers to work at Faculty of Foreign Languages, Ningbo University as teachers of the English language.
2. A foreign teacher has to be a holder of Bachelor Degree or above. Teaching experience is preferred but not compulsory. Bachelor Degree holder’s specialty in TESOL or TEFL is much preferred. The age of the foreign teacher should be under 60.
3. We shall offer around RMB10000 as a monthly salary to each foreign teacher (a Doctoral Degree holder and rich in teaching experience). We shall offer around RMB 8000Yuan as a monthly salary to each foreign teacher (a Master Degree holder and rich in teaching experience). And we shall offer around RMB 6000Yuan as a monthly salary to each foreign teacher (a Bachelor Degree & TESOL or TEFL holder). The salary includes the total teaching hours up to 16 hours per week. Each extra teaching hour above 16 hours per week will be paid RMB 200Yuan or over.
4. If the overall performance of the foreign teachers is excellent and he/she is willing to renew the contract with the university, the salary will increase by 10% during the period of the second year's contract. The foreign teachers who renew the contract with the university will be also entitled to two-month paid summer holiday.
5. We expect the foreign teacher to conduct English classes, give tutorials, make recordings, correct students' assignments, advise students of extra-curricular activities, help train teachers and give lectures and so on. The English courses range from English writing and English conversation to English movies.
6. If a foreign teacher is employed at Ningbo University and the periods of service is over one academic year, we shall refund the total of RMB10000 international airfare, and the domestic travel expenses of RMB 2000 after the one-year contract terminates.
7. The university will pay RMB200yuan each for the Chinese traditional festivals of Dragon Boat Festival, Mid-Autumn Festival, and the Chinese New Year.
8. During the period of contract, we shall bear the following responsibilities for foreign teachers.
(1) A well-furnished apartment (with kitchen utensils, bathroom, furniture, beddings, television set, video player, refrigerator and facilities for heating and cooling)
(2) Medical Insurance within the contract.
IV. Application Processes
1. We shall need three English teachers，two Japanese teachers and two German teachers for academic year from Sep. 2017 to Jun. 2018.
2. Application documents (You may email us):
(1) Resume (including full name, nationality, gender, date of birth, marital status, educational background and working experience)
(2) Academic degree certificates
(3) Copy of the passport
(4) Two reference letters (at least one letter is from your present employer)
(5) 4 passport-sized photos (You may provide them after your arrival at the University.)
(6) Place of issue for a visa (like California, or other places.)
(7) Port of entry to China (like Shanghai or Beijing, etc.)
(8) Emergency contact person (including name, cell phone number and E-mail)
(9) Detailed post address
(10) Name and birthday of your spouse if he/she accompanies with you
(11) Recent health certificate
(12) Certificate of non-criminal record
Note: All teachers have to accept Physical Examination in China before work. A teacher with infectious disease is not allowed to teach.
3. Time of application
If you apply for a teaching position at our faculty, please contact us and post, fax or email the application documents to us before May 30, 2017.
1) Contact person
Mr. Tony Xu (Head of International Office, FFL) via email: email@example.com
2) Mail Address
International Office, Faculty of Foreign Languages
Ningbo, Zhejiang Province 315211
P. R. China